Indian Journal of Urology
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2000  |  Volume : 16  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 129--133

Intravesical BCG+interferon-α-2b in prevention of recurrence in transitional cell carcinoma of urinary bladder


Nayan K Mohanty, MN Mandal, AN Sinha, Alok K Jha 
 Departments of Urology and General Surgery, Safdafjang Hospital, New Delhi, India

Correspondence Address:
Nayan K Mohanty
D-II/87. West Kidwai Nagar New Delhi - 110 023
India

Bladder malignancy is the 11th most common cancer in the world with more than 2,00,000 new cases diagnosed every year 90% of these are TCC, of which 75-80% are superficial in nature. Our aim in this study was to find the efficacy, safety and cost effectiveness of a low dose intravesical imnumo­therapy with BCG (70 mg) + Interferon-α-2b in preven­tion of its recurrence and prolonging disease progression interval. Between Jan. «SQ»94 to Dec. «SQ»98, 100 patients with super­ficial TCC (Ta, TI) of urinary bladder with or without Tis after transurethral resection of tumor underwent intra­vesical instillation of BCG (70 ing) + Interferon-α-2b (5­million IU) weekly for 8 weeks, fortnightly for 8 weeks, monthly . for 8 weeks . followed by maintenance dose at the end of 9th, 12th, 18th & 24th months with follow-up for 60 months. Results: At the end of 60 months of follow-up 36 pa­tients (36%) showed complete response, 44 patients (44%) showed partial response, resulting in a total response rate of 80% while 20% progressed to higher stage & grade. Patients«SQ» tolerance was good and adverse reaction was low 19%. Conclusion: This study has shown that a low dose com­bined therapy with BCG and Interferon is not only safe, well tolerated, cost effective but also highly efficient in preventing recurrences in 36%, maintaining superficial nature of the disease in another 44% with a disease pro­gression free interval of 5 years in 80% of cases.


How to cite this article:
Mohanty NK, Mandal M N, Sinha A N, Jha AK. Intravesical BCG+interferon-α-2b in prevention of recurrence in transitional cell carcinoma of urinary bladder.Indian J Urol 2000;16:129-133


How to cite this URL:
Mohanty NK, Mandal M N, Sinha A N, Jha AK. Intravesical BCG+interferon-α-2b in prevention of recurrence in transitional cell carcinoma of urinary bladder. Indian J Urol [serial online] 2000 [cited 2022 Jan 18 ];16:129-133
Available from: https://www.indianjurol.com/article.asp?issn=0970-1591;year=2000;volume=16;issue=2;spage=129;epage=133;aulast=Mohanty;type=0