Indian Journal of Urology Users online:1509  
IJU
Home Current Issue Ahead of print Editorial Board Archives Symposia Guidelines Subscriptions Login 
Print this page  Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 38  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 146-150

Incidence of urethral stricture following bipolar transurethral resection of prostate: A single-center study


Department of Urology, Asian Institute of Nephrology and Urology, Hyderabad, Telangana, India

Correspondence Address:
Srinath Reddy Mannem
Department of Urology, Asian Institute of Nephrology and Urology, Hyderabad, Telangana
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/iju.iju_228_21

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: Bipolar transurethral resection of the prostate (B-TURP) is a commonly performed procedure, although it has not yet surpassed the gold standard monopolar TURP. The incidence and contributing factors to the development of urethral stricture following B-TURP are still a matter of debate and were analyzed in the present study. Methods: This prospective study evaluated patients who underwent B-TURP. Demographic characteristics, clinical data, and data on other specific investigations were analyzed. B-TURP was performed using an Olympus TURis bipolar system. Patients were followed up for 6 months with the International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS), peak flow rate (Q-max), and residual urine estimation. Urethral stricture was defined as narrowing of the urethral lumen requiring instrumentation to improve the urinary flow rate. Results: A total of 352 patients were enrolled, with a mean age of 67 ± 8.6 years. The mean preoperative IPSS, prostate volume, and Q-max were 21 ± 4, 58.8 ± 31.7 cm3, and 8 ± 3 mL/sec, respectively. The mean meatal caliber was 28 ± 2 Fr. In 209 patients (59.4%), B-TURP was performed using a 24-Fr resectoscope, while in the remaining 143 (40.6%), a 26-Fr resectoscope was used. The mean resection times with the 24-Fr and 26-Fr resectoscopes were 36.5 ± 19.8 min and 63.5 ± 30 min, respectively. Urethral strictures were identified in 15 patients, with an incidence of 4.3%. Mean meatal caliber was significantly related to the risk of stricture formation (P = 0.001). Conclusions: The incidence of urethral stricture after B-TURP was 4.3%. We found that small meatal caliber was associated with an increased risk of urethral stricture following B-TURP.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed548    
    Printed20    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded109    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal