Indian Journal of Urology Users online:8991  
IJU
Home Current Issue Ahead of print Editorial Board Archives Symposia Guidelines Subscriptions Login 
Print this page  Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2016  |  Volume : 32  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 282-287

An audit of early complications of radical cystectomy using Clavien-Dindo classification


Department of Urology and Renal Transplantation, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India

Correspondence Address:
Anil Mandhani
Department of Urology and Renal Transplantation, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow - 226 014, Uttar Pradesh
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0970-1591.191244

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: Despite the major improvements in surgical technique and perioperative care, radical cystectomy (RC) remains a major operative procedure with a significant morbidity and mortality. The present study analyzes the early complications of RC and urinary diversion using a standardized reporting system. Materials and Methods: Modified Clavien-Dindo classification was used to retrospectively assess the peri-operative course of 212 patients who had RC with urinary diversion between October 2003 and October 2014 at a single institution. The indications for surgery were muscle invasive urothelial carcinoma, high-grade nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer (BC), and Bacillus Calmette-Guerin-resistant nonmuscle invasive BCs. Data on age, sex, comorbidities, smoking history, American Society of Anaesthesiologists score, and peri-operative complications (up to 90 days) were captured. Statistical analysis was performed using SPSS 20.0 software (Chicago, USA). Results: The mean age was 56.15 ΁ 10.82. Orthotopic neobladder was created in 113 patients, ileal conduit in 88 patients, and cutaneous ureterostomy in 11 patients. A total of 292 complications were recorded in 136/212 patients. 242 complications (81.16%) occurred in the first 30 days, with the remaining 50 complications (18.83%) occurring thereafter. The rates for overall complication were 64.1%. The most common complications were hematologic (21.6%). Most of the complications were of Grade I and II (22.9% and 48.9%, respectively). Grade IIIa, IIIb, IVa, IVb, and V complications were observed in 10.2%, 8.9%, 3.4%, 2.7%, and 2.7% of the patients, respectively. Conclusions: RC and urinary diversion are associated with significant morbidity. This audit would help in setting a benchmark for further improvement in the outcome.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3604    
    Printed66    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded165    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal